Sunday 15 March 2015

Practising my design

Fenella's lesson: Two face - Half face Miss Havisham // Estella on Bekah. 
In Fenella's lesson in pairs we had to make up one side of the face as Miss Havisham (at our chosen point in her life) and one side as Estella. I did my Miss Havisham half as her the day after her wedding as a chance to experiment with techniques for my continuity assessment, and Estella's half as a basic Victorian beauty look. Here are my images:


For the Miss Havisham side I used a red blusher from our Kryolan palette to colour the water line of the eye to make it look like she was crying. It was a very bright red and looked unrealistic so this is when I realised I needed to play around with other pink and red colours in my kit to find a solution that made it look as if the model had been crying for days and the eyes look sore. After further experimentation I realised that using the rosy shade in the Derma Color palette I have (Shade name: D32) worked very well and created the effect I wanted.
With the Estella side I found that it looked too made us, everything needed to be slightly more natural (lips and eyeshadow) and the eyebrows a lot less obviously defined.

Make-up design practise
At first Maddy was supposed to be my partner for the Miss Havisham assessment so I began my make-up practise on her, but due to her not being able to attend the first continuity assessment I had to change to working with Chloe later on. In this lesson I began practising my final design idea on Maddy to see what went well and what could be improved with my design.


I was really pleased with how the tear streaks on the cheeks came out and thought the cotton bud technique was really effective. I decided that the mascara made the look too modern as Victorian people wouldn't have had mascara and make-up that appeared so heavy so I decided to resolve this buy removing mascara from my look completely. I liked how the D32 colour from Derma Color looked around the eyes as it made her appear very tired and sore around the eye area. I wasn't very pleased with the lips as they didn't look sore enough so I made note to apply more glue so there is more texture and so the lips can peel more and also add a number off different colours to the lips during my assessment so some areas can look more painful than others to make the effect more realistic.

Hair practise:
Here is my first attempt practising my hair style design for Miss Havisham. The only thing missing from this look is the flowers I am purchasing from Fabric Land to decorate the back of the style.


Now that I have practised both hair and make-up more than a couple of times I am confident that I can complete it within the time we are provided with, I am mostly worried about the hair as I have struggled to create curls exactly the same as the were before in each practise.

No comments:

Post a Comment