Saturday 14 March 2015

Miss Havisham design - Her wedding day

To begin my design process I decided to look at Miss Havisham at four different stages in her life: Her wedding day, the day/a week after her wedding, years and years after where she is nearing the end of her life and finally her death. I thought that by creating very quick and simple design ideas based on each of these versions of Miss Havisham I could then pick one and develop it. This way I will have known I chose the right period in Miss Havishams life to portray through my character designs for my continuity assessments.

Wedding day (before the betrayal):
  • Very neat and freshly styled early Victorian hair style with some flowers
  • Barely any make-up due to obvious make-up being disapproved of by the Victorian people, we wouldn't want Miss Havisham to look like a prostitute on her wedding day! 
Equipment:
  • Kryolan foundation palette
  • Illamasqua powder blusher duo
  • Illamasqua loose powder
  • Kryolan neutral eyeshadow palette
  • Kryolan lip palette
  • Clear mascara
  • Hair brush
  • Tail comb
  • Small curling wand
  • Grips and pins
  • Decorative flowers
  • Brushes 
  1. The base would be very natural, mixed with some moisturiser so that the coverage isn't too heavy. I would then powder this to set.
  2. I would then use a tiny amount of Illamasqua Lover blush on a brush and tap it on the back of my hand to make sure there is barely any and apply to the center of the cheeks for a natural, healthy look.
  3. Brush the eyebrows into place and very lightly define them using a light matte brown from the neutral eyeshadow palette.
  4. Use the same colour as was used for the eyebrows and contour the crease of the eye very very lightly so its barely visible.
  5. Apply clear mascara to the lashes.
  6. Using a natural rosy colour from the lip palette, take a lip brush and apply a very minimal amount just so the lips look more pink but still as if there is nothing there. 
The hair would be  like this hair style I created in class but with flowers or decorations added.

Shortly after I began designing this idea I realised that it would be very minimal and quite boring due to the lack of make-up. As the Estella look is an opportunity to do a more 'pretty' look I decided that with Miss Havisham I wanted to portray more of the sad and dark side to her as this is the side we know of Miss Havisham. She isn't known for how she was before she was abandoned on her wedding day.


No comments:

Post a Comment