Tuesday 10 February 2015

Gothic architecture

Gothic architecture is overwhelming and extravagant, giving visitors or simply onlookers the feeling of extreme emotion and terror with mystery and darkness, this is like the sublime of enjoying the fear and terror people feel when watching horror movies. Gothic architecture is mostly linked with cathedrals, churches and castles and features include arches, towers, sharp edges, elaborate staircases, carvings and intense attention to detail such as stained glass windows and statues of angels and gargoyles . An example of fine Gothic architecture is Canterbury cathedral, pictured below showing some of the features and details I have described above.




Whilst living in Southampton over the past five months I have noticed that there is a lot of historical, old, decaying buildings and architecture with a Gothic feel. Although these aren't Gothic places they have aspects and elements that remind me of the Gothic and by taking photos from certain angles and turning them black and white this really enhances the overall vibe I was going for. When learning about the Gothic and architecture these three locations came to mind so I thought I would share some of my favourites from my little adventure.



References:
http://www.canterburycathedrallodge.org/UserFiles/Image/Canterbury%20Christmas%20low%20res%20web.jpg
http://www.familyholiday.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/inside-canterbury-cathedral.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment