Saturday 31 January 2015

Early Victorian hairstyle practicals

Here are pictures of my practise in the lesson of two different basic early Victorian hair styles followed by a photo of a go I had at home on my flat mates hair. I was happy with the turn out of the style on my flat mate as it was much easier to work with than on our dolly heads hair. I found during practising these styles that the bit I most struggled with was creating a straight center parting and the smoothing of putting the hair into a ponytail and bun without it being messy.

Equipment:
- Hair brush
- Tail comb
- Grips and pins
- Section clips
- A small hair band
- Small curling wand
- Dolly head/model

1) Create a center parting with the tail comb and on each side of the parting create a section of hair to just behind the ear, I then sectioned these off securing with a section clip.
2) With the rest of the hair at the back of the head I brushed into a mid-high ponytail and secured with a small hair band
3) I then plaited the ponytail and twisted it into a bun and secured it in place with grips and pins.
4) To create the curly style I took the smallest curling wand I could find and created sausage-like ringlets that covered the ears and hung at the sides of the face.
5) When I recreated the look at home but plaiting this time I repeated the same first 3 steps but instead of curling the side pieces of hair I combed them down smooth to just above the ear where I began neatly plaiting the rest of the lengths of hair, once the whole piece was plaited I looped it round the bottom of the ear and up and incorporated it into the bun and pinned into the place. Repeat this on both sides of the head.









1 comment:

  1. Hi! I was searching on Queen Victoria hairstyles, particularly the one with the braids that goes around the ears and I found your pictures of the hairstyles. I like how you explained how to create the style because I’ve seen lots of photos and had saw Masterpiece’s Victoria and I couldn’t figure out how they keep the braid in a bun on the back of the head. I didn’t think at the time to use a hair tie to hold it in place. It didn’t came out too bad, but at the same time, it was hard trying to make a braid without it seemingly wanting to be a braid more on the right or left. Basically, having a braid that wasn’t centered correctly (I wasn’t sure how to word it right). I even thought about buying a holder for a hair bun and work the braids from around the ears that way. Basically the same hairstyle, but changing the braided bun to a regular one.
    Thank you so much for showing how to create the hairstyles. Lately, I’ve been deciding on applying for a job and I read on part of their website that they want your hair to be around shoulder length. Even if I don’t get the job, I still like the hairstyle and I think it’ll be a new look, going from brushed hair to an ornate hairstyle. Also, on Masterpiece’s Victoria, they barely show how they create it and not say what they use to create the look, but they show different hairstyles from that era. Thanks again for the pictures. Good luck on your degree in Make-up and Hair Design!! ����

    ReplyDelete